Thursday, March 20, 2014

Day 12- Tombstone to Bisbee



This day was a short ride with a steep 4 mile climb before entering a tunnel coming downhill into Bisbee. I was feeling great for the first time in three days. Fully recovered, I hope. So, pedaled up to almost 6000 ft above sea level and stopped to catch my breath. I had leaned my bike on a guard rail, sat in the shade and chatted with Jon and Hetty from the Netherlands. Upon getting ready to depart a sound like a gunshot occurred and I found holes and my tire and tube. I was stranded. Later, as I was picked up and brought into Bisbee I saw that I was less than 100 yards from the summit and then a nice 1 mile downhill into town. How frustrating to be so close. Nevertheless I enjoyed a sumptuous lunch of curried chicken and a fruit smoothie, my first real meal that looked and tasted delicious.

Bisbee is a funky little town built into the side of hills and had a thriving copper mining industry up until the 1970's. Now it appears to be inhabited by artists and others preferring a place a bit off the grid.

No comments:

Post a Comment