Friday, March 14, 2014

Day 7- Gila Bend to Casa Grande, AZ

Sorry, no photos again today. In my haste to get off to an early start on what was our longest ride (77 miles) I left my iPhone/ camera behind on a charging board. I have it back now and can compose this post. For those who access Facebook I have 'Liked' several photos from other riders and you should be able to see them.

Now for the ride, we thankfully left the Interstates and set out through the Sanora Desert National Monument. We climbed on a road that had many mini dips but was very smooth, as were all the roads today. We passed through what seemed like a forest of Saguaro cactus. Those are the big tall ones usually with two or more arms and look like human stick figures. I saw one cactus with 5 arms like a hand and another with arms that appeared to be hugging its torso. We expect to see more as we approach Tucson tomorrow and I hope to take pictures.

We took a break at a smoothie shop and yes, the Jamoca Heath Bar flavor was yummy. We stopped at another Mexican restaurant for lunch and I had a tongue taco in honor of my Grandmimi. She used to offer me tongue sandwiches whenever I visited her in NJ.

We passed by a number feed lots that we later learned held 150,000 cattle each for 90 days before slaughter. The vast majority were Holstein heifers not needed on dairy farms.

We are staying in a public high school tonight and we were fed a fabulous Italian dinner by their culanary arts students.

Addendum to yesterday's post- Bubba has a policy of inviting any touring cyclists that we encounter to join us for dinner, speak and stay overnight as well for breakfast. He feels that it is his payback for those who helped him on his cross country ride. So, last night we heard from Jeramie, a young man from Chester, VT who is running, yes that is right, from SC to CA to raise awareness of mental health (nami.org) and Pretty Big Run

No comments:

Post a Comment