Monday, March 10, 2014

Day 3- Live Oak Springs to Calexico, CA


We were rewarded today for our climbing efforts the first two days. We shuttled back up from the campground to Live Oak Springs and started descending almost immediately and at Mile 16 and a rest stop we got on I-8 for one scary 10 mile descent on a 6% grade. My front wheel started to shake but I stopped and calmed my nerves before setting out again.

We saw a bit of the border fence, pictured above, near Jacumba, before entering the Interstate. Also pictured above are Ann, our supreme chef and Serge, her husband and chore boy. 

Lunch for me was a chocolate banana milk shake and water and then off through the Yuha Desert past Exit 6, above, and landscape described as 'moon surface.'

The final 30 miles into Calexico was a bit tedious and anti-climatic after descending almost 4000 ft and then ending at a foot below sea level. Our stay tonight is being hosted by a Seventh Day Adventist mission school. Reminds me of a stop in French Camp, MS along the Natchez Trace where I was fed along other riders at a local school.

No comments:

Post a Comment