Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Medical Update

It has been two weeks since I returned home. I have resumed my normal schedule which includes coffee (now decaffeinated) and reading a paper, as well as solving a Sudoko puzzle, each morning and two bike rides a week. All has felt well and I have been able to ride without any difficulties.

An appointment this morning with a local electrophysiologist confirmed that I am no longer exhibiting any signs of atrial arrhythmia. He felt my heart, which now had a resting pulse of 57 this morning, has returned to normal on its own without any impact from the prescribed medications. That's great news! However, I learned that an event such as I experienced in Florida can and will reoccur without warning and not necessarily be tied to any exertion. The alternatives, again as were explained earlier, are: 1) take medications to control heart rhythm but that are not considered effective; 2) ignore the condition but take a blood thinner to prevent strokes and which in my case could be just a daily aspirin; or 3) undergo an ablation surgical procedure which has a 97% effective rate of permanent prevention and elimination of a blood thiner after three months. Although I was tempted to choose Door #2, Nan and I agreed and have scheduled myself for an out-patient surgery on May 27.


No comments:

Post a Comment