Friday, May 1, 2015

Day 47- Marianna to Tallahassee


Wednesday, April 22- 75 miles

Again, no pictures but lots to report. The day and route started routinely when I met Murph and Alan on US 90 near the Lake Arrowhead campground. We continued eastwards crossing at mile 20 the Appalachacola River just below a dam forming Lake Seminole. We headed up an embankment into the town of Chatahoochee and a SAG stop at the Around the Corner Bakery. We did not linger but I noticed that I was still breathing hard after the climb and was experiencing some difficulty with the hills on the way out of town. I chose not to join, but waited for the group of riders that took a short detour to ride up into Georgia. We completed another 20 miles into Quincy where I took an extended rest stop drinking copious amounts of water and other liquids and eating a banana to regain strength.

Alan and Murph proceeded and I joined Judy's group as they were riding more slowly that day. Their lead rider, Ken W, was recovering from laser surgery on his left eye and they were willing to let me tag along. We left US 90 and proceeded along country lanes on a route recommended by local cyclists. I made it to the next stop and had some lunch in addition to more liquids, including a V8.

We left and soon headed into urban cycling across Tallahassee. Again, we were following a route suggested by local cyclists. However, I had forgotten how hilly the terrain is in that city. I had to stop frequently and once walked my bike up a hill. Judy's group was very kind and patiently waited for me as we slowly made our way to the eastern side of the city. We finally parted ways at mile 70 with the group going to their motel just outside the eastern edge of Tallahassee on US 90. I rode on making  one more stop to drink a large Coke and then to my motel.

This evening we completed a rendezvous, planned last year with Lee and Randy, friends from Winston-Salem and Atlanta. Rose, Murph and Judy joined Nan, Lee, Randy and me for a lovely dinner at the Cypress Restaurant. We all had lots to talk about and the evening was a nice break in routine. Finally got back to the hotel and in bed by 11 pm but sleep fitfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment