Thursday, February 25, 2016

Day 49- Madison to High Springs, FL

Thursday,  February 18, 2016- 78  miles

So, what made me think I could just hop on a bicycle and pedal all day? Well, I had been riding regularly without any major difficulties, but these were short 20-40 mile rides mostly in-town and short in duration.


Bill P and I departed after a quick motel buffet breakfast. Chilly in the high 30's. We scouted a route on Bandit Rd which was dirt and made its way to a County road up to Lee and US 90. Bill was kind enough to drive along and protect me from any marauding dogs. None seen or heard. Bill drove ahead to Live Oak, parked and rode back towards me. On the way I crossed over the Suwanee River and of course, hummed the Stephen Foster tune, Way down upon...


We returned to the Dixie Grill for a second breakfast. I rode East, again along US 90. after shedding jacket and pants. The temperature was a delightful 60+/- with sun shining. I passed by Camp Weed, an Episcopal Church camp, where Chandler led a week long Road Scholar biking program that I attended a few years ago and first heard of Bubba and his amazing pampered pedalers. 

At about the midway point I headed South. Bill drove ahead and alerted me that there were no viable places to stop for food or drinks until reaching a canoe rental store near the Ichetucknee State Park. I finally reached that destination after battling head winds whenever I turned East. I did see one amazing site along the way:


Bill again, scouted the route ahead and rode back on his bike. He led me along a trail to and through another State Park and out to US 41, the same highway that passes nearby (Northside Dr) my home in Atlanta. Bill picked up his car and proceeded into High Springs where we  spent the night in a cosy little motel. We went out to a pleasant dinner that I recall included fresh strawberries that had been harvested locally among other ingredients in a large salad,.

Remember the opening comments about preparation? At this point every joint and limb in my body was screaming, "What have you done?" I slept restlessly as I could not find a comfortable position. Nevertheless I woke up surprisingly refreshed and without significant pain. On we go...

No comments:

Post a Comment