Sunday, April 20, 2014

Day 43- Departure

During the night I received several phone calls reporting that my wife, Nan, had been in an automobile accident. She was slightly injured with a bruised sternum from the seat belt. Neither she nor a passenger required hospitalization and they both came home. The car, however, was a total wreck. Since my car had expired before I left for the C2C tour we were left without transportation. I pondered several possible courses of action on my part.

Ron, aka Stretch and a rider from 2013, had joined us for a week. He and his wife, Carol, were planning to drive home in the morning to North Augusta, SC. I spoke with them about getting a ride home with them as they would be passing by Atlanta. They were agreeable and modified their van to accommodate my bicycle, gear and me. The hardest and emotional moment for me was announcing to my friends and family of fellow riders and support staff that I would be departing. Lots of tears on my part and hugs. I vowed to return next year to complete the last 8 days of riding through Florida to St Augustine. By unfortunate coincidence another rider, Mike, had fallen the day before on a grate and broken his collar bone. I had luckily negotiated the same grate with its openings parallel to the street just moments before it got Mike. I am hoping that he will join me to complete our ride in 2015.

Best wishes and warm thanks to all the riders, support staff and the incredible Bubba for the adventure of a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment