Monday, September 25, 2017

Day 5- Mainz to Worms

Thursday, Sept 14- 56 km/ 34 mi

"If I were at home, I would not ride in this weather." A quote like this and advice not to ride from another rider's wife convinced me not to ride this day. Later I heard several comments to the effect of "hardest 35 miles ever ridden." It rained all day and the track was hard to follow including a wrong turn into a field of wet grass.

Instead I rode on the bus to Worms and moved into a delightfully new and clean restoration of an old rowing club beside the Rhine. I was able to trade some detergent for a wash load and then hung up clothes to dry. Later had lunch in the adjoining restaurant overlooking the Rhine.

That afternoon I walked into the center of Worms to explore the city known for its connection to Martin Luther. I also learned that the oldest synagogue in Germany is located in Worms. All was well until I got disoriented, ran began to fall and wind picked up as I tried to find the large clock tower on the main bridge coming into town and beside the rowing club hotel. Eventually I found the tourist office which provided me a map and directions back to the river.





No comments:

Post a Comment