Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Day 44- Dauphin Island, AL to Milton, FL

Sunday, April 19- 85 miles scheduled (46 miles completed)

The discipline of a daily post has escaped me. So, what is the story? All will be revealed as each day is described.

Nan and I rose early and departed after a hasty breakfast in a light rain. We drove south from Fairhope to meet the Coasters at the Fort Morgan eastern terminus of the ferry from Dauphin Island. We soon encountered heavy rain that required turning on the blinking safety lights. We did arrive just as the ferry was pulling into the dock. My iPhone camera crapped out as I went to take a picture of the boat full of riders and their bicycles. Perhaps, I should have taken this as an omen of future calamities that would occur this day.


The rain let up. Alan from Idaho, Murph from Colorado and regular companion on the 2014 C2C and I get set to begin the day's ride. We had fun raising our feet up like kids when we encountered flooded spots along the road. It was a splendid ride east along the coast, aka the Redneck Riviera.

We soon reached the beginning of the eighth and last state of the cross country ride. Here I am joined by Judy from Atlanta and the King Biking Group commemorating the accomplishment. So, all was good until we reached a small bridge over an inlet from the Gulf of Mexico where I was stopped by the first of four flat tires within the next seven miles. In frustration with #4 I refused to stop and rode an additional 10 yards which led to a painful fall on my left shoulder into oncoming traffic. I gathered myself and bicycle which at the time I was ready to throw into the ocean. Nevertheless Nan came to my rescue and transported the bike and me to the Bikes Plus shop in Pensacola. They administered emergency repairs, put on a new tire and sent me on. At that point I was happy to accept a car ride to our hotel in Milton, a delicious dinner from Chef Anne and a good night's sleep.




No comments:

Post a Comment